First wine, then award…
Maybe I have been over drinking, maybe wine has tasted a little dull to me because I’ve been having too much. Or I have been picking out terrible bottles, but that is less likely because I have amazing taste. In any case, I opened the best bottle of wine the other night, and I thought it only appropriate to share.
The bottle is a 2009 FontanaFredda Langhe Nebbiolo. I am trying to think of something bad to say about it, but I don’t have anything bad to say. In fact, I just took a couple more sips, and I still don’t have anything bad to say. Then the bf made fun of me for pouring such a large glass. But then he took a sip. It’s like I can see the future.
Find this bottle here. Its floral, a little fruity and a little spicy. I honestly hate to be so vague about it, but to me this is what I want when I buy a bottle of red. It isn’t bland, like some table wine-esque varieties can be, but its not so overwhelming that I can’t sit and write a blog post about it without eating something with it. Forgive the double negatives. It is satisfying without being boring, and I am sure this will become a staple purchase in my wine cellar…which is actually an IKEA shelf in my hallway.
This is typical of the Nebbiolo grape which is grown largely in the Piedmont region of Italy. It serves as the primary grape for big Italian reds like the Barolo and Barbaresco. It’s apparently very hard to grow, and therefore many of the bottles created with this grape are really quite expensive. Younger bottles are typically less so. Also, these wines may be greatly “improved” by decanting. And drinking.
I have been writing a final paper all day, and feel as though I used up all of my abilities to transition between thoughts and phrases and so that is all the nonsense I can say for now I think. I mean, I’m sure I can say a lot more nonsense, but I think it better if I stop now before I just start talking about irrelevant details. Like my severe annoyance with the wide variety of paper towel dispensers. Why must there be so many different ways to get a paper towel/dry your hands?!?! Ok, I’m done. Seriously. But seriously……whhyyyy????
Award–Kreativ Blogger Award!
Rules of Conduct: Bloggers who win the award must complete the following steps:
1. Thank the blogger who gave you the award and provide a link.
2. List 7 interesting things about yourself that your readers might find interesting
3. Nominate 7 other bloggers, provide links, and let them know!
I have been nominated for a Kreativ Blogger award by the wonderful and talented Deb Brunson, author of Terrified Tastebud!! Ironically, or perhaps not ironically, she is a pathologist-turned personal trainer-turned family doctor-turned cyclist extraordinaire-turned chef. And she lives in Boulder! Home of my alma mater! Twinsies….kind of! Her blog is full of recipes, cooking tips and life lessons and I highly recommend it. Plus she obviously has great taste in blog reading (mine).
Seven interesting things about myself:
1. I make the best grilled cheese in the world. I also tell anyone who eats my grilled cheese to tell me its the best thing they have ever had, so maybe my sampling isn’t entirely accurate, but in any case, I make a damn good grilled cheese.
2. In middle school, I was 5’2″ and wore a size 10 shoe. I am now 5’10″ and wear an 8.5. Puberty was rough for me.
3. I decided to volunteer to “save sea turtles” in Costa Rica for two weeks with a friend of mine. She, from Copenhagen, and I, from Denver, decided to take this trip over cheesecake at Starbucks in Tokyo. I have never again ordered cheesecake with my coffee and it was without a doubt, the best experience of my life.
4. I have the best brother in the whole wide world. He makes me laugh harder than anyone else on the planet.
5. I had a bit of an issue sleeping last year, and took Ambien for a few weeks. After taking Ambien once, I proceeded to rap the entire Kanye West “Paris” song, and then order a pair of Alexander Wang boots, complete with a 6.5″ heel and a blue toe. They looked like Austin-Powers-Space-Boots. Even though I felt like my subconscious was trying to tell me something, I reluctantly sent them back after I realized they hurt my feet just sitting in them.
6. I have like seven best friends in the whole world and they all live in different states, and I miss them pretty much every day.
7. I have really really long toes. I would probably wear a 7.5 if I didn’t have monkey feet. I can pinch quite hard with my big toe and my middle toe. It is a little bit gross, but its also quite a useful ability for an unsuspecting boyfriend who says something inappropriate.
Seven Other Blogs: I am still a bit new at this, so I imagine most of these people have already been nominated, but here are just a few of my favorite reads
1. Coffeeserveddaily.com. The tag line is “1,000 cups of coffee, one day at a time.” It is full of beautiful pictures, great stories, and wonderful coffee. It’s like drinking a cup while you read!
2. Theconfedaracyofspinsters.com. They are completely hilarious and totally relatable. The girls discuss their fears of becoming bridezillas and the politics of “unfriending.”
3. Thecravingchronicles.com. Beautiful photography, wonderful recipes. All around just super great.
4. TheSundayBottles.com. Another couple really into drinking wine and wine pairing. I love their recipes and treks to find bottles of good wine and then drink them. Plus, their tag line is “Drinking to the Bottom of Things” and that to me is just what my life should be, and so I love them.
5. FiveandSpice.com. First of all, what a great name. Second of all, don’t visit this blog when you are hungry. Unless you are close to a well-stocked kitchen because oh man it is delicious. Currently up on the recipe block? Pasta with Burrata and Kale-Roasted Garlic Sauce. Plus I have to give some love to fellow Boston-Bloggers!
6.Downtownromantic.com. Amazing style, great photography. I check it almost every day to see what this fabulous lady is up to and wearing.
7. Missrenaissance.com. Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous, I want to eat and wear everything she…eats and wears and photographs. Love love.
8. I know its only supposed to be 7, but kittiesandcouture.com is the style home of an incredibly sweet, stylish woman (who happens to be a total knockout) and I love seeing what she comes up for each post!
Thanks again Deb and
all my readers mom and grandma for your continued reading and support! I truly means the absolute whole-wide world to me!!!!
- When The Boys Are Away, Drink Some Rose (daughterelle.wordpress.com)
- Nebbiolo (foodservicewarehouse.com)
- Seghesio Langhe Nebbiolo 2008 (whywineblog.com)